Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I love blogging about technology...

...I'm sure it is something that my kids will get a kick out of in about 30 years. Can you imagine if my mom blogged about the "Speak & Spell" that I got when I was 7, or if 25 years ago, she blogged about the cool windows in her new car that go down by pushing a button.

To give a little history, I decided last summer that I wanted an iphone...really, really wanted an iphone. The problem was that Spencer took a shower with his phone in his pocket the summer before last so, he wrecked his phone and needed a new one, thus extending our Verizon contract to July 31, 2010. Yikes!!! I started a countdown until July 31, 2010 and began waiting.....patiently.

I was even able to use my "patiently waiting" as a lesson for Jack when he was very upset after he decided that he really wanted a Super Mario Baseball game for his Wii and he realized how many weeks he would have to wait to earn enough allowance to be able to buy it. I was totally able to empathize with him and explained to him that I was also "patiently waiting" for something that I really wanted and *I* would have to wait all the way until July! He thought about it and then went and got his brothers to pool their money together and get the game....tomorrow. Doh! So, not fair!!

I continued to wait patiently...all the way until November 6th. The day "Droid" came out. I decided that I waited patiently long enough. I did a lot of research and found out that this new phone was a lot like the iphone and got great reviews. It was "powered by google", which I thought was pretty cool.

So, for the first time in my life, I bought a piece of technology on the day it was released.



It is soooo cool. I have so much fun with it. My emails come right to my phone and it says "DROID" evey time I get a new email...which makes me smile. I get my facebook updates in the carpool line. The GPS is awesome. It runs through Google Maps so, it has the street view option. Imagine my surprise when my cute little phone showed me a picture of the house that I was trying to find, the first time I used it! It also has Google Sky Maps which labels all of the stars that I am looking at and changes as I move the phone in the air. I was even able to scan my stupid "frequent buyer cards" from the grocery stores into my phone so that I don't have to carry the cards anymore. The google calendar in the phone is awesome too and will prevent me from ever being the "worst mom in the world" again.
There you go....the coolest gadget of 2010. Now go ahead and laugh away.....my 32 and 28 year old sons, your old mom can't wait for you to show her how the coolest gadget of 2035 works. ;)

4 comments:

Cathy said...

You are very cool!!! I gotta tell ya.. I am jealous! I am still waiting to get a G Phone from T-Mobile for the past 2 years... but I need to find a job to pay for the phone!

You are gonna enjoy this 25 years from now! Thanks for the reminder of Speak n Spell... I used to have one too! ;)

Theresa said...

I believe that checking the facebook in carpool line is now illegal.....

Kelly said...

I knew about that, but I assumed that if the car was in "Park" I would be ok. I mean for the 15 minutes before the doors of the school even open and I am just sitting there in a stopped car on the side of the street. I think I'm ok, and definitely "safe".

Jennifer said...

Funny and interesting post. I have to admit, however, that my favorite line in the whole thing was "Spencer took a shower with his phone in his pocket...". I'm sure that happens to a lot of people :-).