Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Regrets...

A few weeks ago, a few hours after the boys went to bed, we heard crying coming from their room. 50% of the time crying in the middle of the night means that someone is getting sick. Grrr. The other 50% of the time means that someone is about to provide me with something to blog about.

Thankfully, on this particular occasion, nobody was sick. Yay!! That also means that I have another "I couldn't make this stuff up" blog post. Double Yay!!

So, here is my story.

Spencer and I were still awake when we heard the crying so, we went upstairs to find out what was going on. It turned out that on that particular night, it was Drew that was crying and he was quite upset. We brought him into the bathroom and got him a drink and were really trying to get to the bottom of what was making him so upset. Drew doesn't get that upset very often, but when he does, there is always a reason.

After a few minutes, he finally calmed down enough to try to explain.

He said "I'm just so sad"

Me: "Awww.....What are you so sad about??"

Drew, in between sobs: "I'm just so sad because.... I just feel like I wasted my whole summer playing with Charlie when I should have.....

I should have....

I should have .....

(you won't believe this!)

I should have been playing Wii!!!"

OMG!! Seriously, I never would have figured that out and I'm relatively certain that this particular "problem" is not covered in any parenting books. I guess we're on our own.

Well, the boys had played quite a bit of Mario Cart that day and I figured that Drew's big "regret" was the result of being upset about always getting "12th place".

I tried to explain to him that playing with Charlie was so much better than playing Wii....and what a great big brother he is.....and how much Charlie loves him and enjoys playing with him......and, seriously, if he worked on holding the Mario Cart steering wheel in front of him, instead of OVER HIS HEAD, or BEHIND HIS HEAD, he would improve pretty quickly at the game too because NOBODY DRIVES LIKE THAT!

Problem solved....good night!

Brothers are way better than Wii!!!

5 comments:

Christina said...

OMG, that was the funniest thing Ive read all day!! Poor little guy!

Cathy said...

LOL!!! This was an AWESOME story!! You made me laugh so loud that Winni had to find out what was going on!!

Yes Drew.. playing on the Wii is fun... but you can only play in the basement. When on the other hand... playing with Charlie is fun too.. and you can play with him anywhere!!

Again... thanks for the "loud" laugh! Can't wait to see who will cry next!?!?!

~~Mel~~ said...

Too funny!!!

Isn't it amazing how they get so upset over such little things??? I bet he was sobbing as if he'd lost his very best friend...lol.

Tash said...

Awwww, poor Drew, see if this cheers him up.....Rachel and Claire don't even have Wii! I think they like having each other to play with more than the game.
Tell Drew that I say Wii can wait, choose Charlie over wii 99.9% of the time.

Jennifer said...

From when Charile was an itsy bitsy baby, Ben has been the hands-on big brother. Then this summer I noticed how Drew really changed his relationship with Charlie. I'm sorry that he was so upset, but to be honest, I REALLY enjoyed watching him interact with Charlie. He honestly provided me lots and lots of entertainment this summer... thanks Drew!