Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I don't hate Oprah!!!

It has come to my attention that I need to clarify my feelings about Oprah.

If you haven't been reading my blog for very long, you probably missed that several months ago, I had a little quote about Oprah on my sidebar. It said something to the effect that "I can vote without Oprah's help...thank you."

Since then, whenever Oprah comes up in a coversation with someone that reads my blog, they immediately say "well, I know that you hate Oprah, but...".

Ok, here is the thing...I don't *hate* Oprah.

Oprah is a wonderful person. I have so much respect for her because she seems to genuinely want to help people and do the right thing. There are just not that many people like that in the world. I really believe that this world would be a lot better off if we had more "Oprahs" in it.

Obviously, I disagreed with Oprah's choice for who to vote for in the most recent election. So, of course, I was really bummed that she chose to use her show to influence her fans to help *her* guy win. But, really, who wouldn't? I know that if I had a cool show and the ability to influence millions of people, I would totally do it. But, duh, I wanted the other guy to win...of course it didn't make me happy that she was using her show to persuade her "followers" to vote against my guy. I "get it", but I don't like it.

So, there you go, that's the whole story. I love Oprah...I'm just a little mad at her so, I'm pouting a bit by deleting her from my Tivo for a little while. Just kidding Oprah...keep up the good work, just pick a different candidate next time. ;)


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel the exact same way about Oprah. Well put! P.S. I didn't check your blog in a couple days, and boy did I pay for it... 3 very long, somewhat deep (Confusing Not Me Monday) posts :-).

Richie The Kid said...

Very well triangulated, Kelly. I'd be extremely careful about getting on Oprah's bad side if I were you! :-)

Anonymous said...

I know how you *feel* about Oprah, I get it. I agree we need more "Oprahs" in the world, but I think there are some ; they just don't have the money or influence like THE Oprah has. I think you Kelly are an Oprah and you do have a cool show (well , blog) and the ability to influence many, maybe not millions. You have one up on Oprah because you were willing to be persuaded if there was someone better than *your* guy. It seemed as if you were interested more in why your followers would vote against you and weren't trying to persuade them to vote your way unless they saw the light as to why they should. I'm proud of you for that. So pout all you want and for the next election Oprah should have you as a guest on her show!