Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sleep Deprivation

Sleep deprivation is a funny thing. Unless you are in the middle of it, then it is not so funny. I'm sure that I have plenty of funny stories about sleep deprivation from when the triplets were babies, but I was so sleep deprived that I can't remember too many of them.

I do remember being completely and utterly exhausted. The boys ate every 3 hours, around the clock, and it took 1.5 hours to feed all 3 of them by myself. If someone helped, we could usually get it done in about an hour. I never did figure out how to feed more than one of the babies at a time and they were horribly slow eaters....still are. I'm sure there was a much better system than the one that we had, but we were too tired to figure out something different.

Anyway, with all of that up and down at night, we were obviously very tired. I know that there were many nights when I would wake up and not be able to remember where I was. I would dream that I was feeding a baby and then the next thing that I knew, I was back in my bed....or maybe I really did feed a baby. It was so confusing. Well, the result of this was several times a week, one of us would wake up and think that we fell asleep feeding a baby and the baby was somewhere in the bed. In a panic, we would start tearing all of the covers and pillows off of the bed, much to the dismay of the other person that was sound asleep in the bed. It was so nuts because neither one of us ever took a baby into our bed. But, that didn't stop us. It was crazy! Luckily, although we were both frequently guilty of this craziness, it never happened to us at the same time. One of us always had a level enough head to convince the other one to go back to sleep, or at least go check on the sleeping babies in the crib before completely destroying the bed.
Ok, I guess it isn't entirely true that the babies were never in our bed,
but they were never in our bed while we were sleeping.
I had to post these pictures because I love them. He was so teenie-tiny.
Drew, July 2002


Obviously when we had Charlie, we were not quite as sleep deprived. I nursed him for the first four months so, it was quite easy for me to get up, feed him and quickly go back to sleep. Well, one night, Charlie started to fuss so, I got up to feed him. Apparently, Spencer was a bit overtired and was awoken by Charlie's fussing also. He jumped out of bed and followed me into Charlie's room all ready to "help". I picked up Charlie and sat down in the chair with him to start nursing. Spencer was looking at me like I was an alien. The conversation went something like this:

Spencer: "what are you doing?"

Me (real slow, with a duh! look on my face): "I'm going to feed Charlie"

By this time, he is really looking at me strange and he says: "with what?"

LOL!!! I respond: "I'm going to nurse him".

His response....get this...is..."Since when?!?!?".

I about fell over. "Go back to bed Honey!!"

I laughed for a long time about that one and COULDN'T WAIT to remind him all about that conversation in the morning. LOL!!

See, sleep deprivation IS funny!!!! Right Jen!?!?!

4 comments:

Cathy said...

LOL!!! Too funny! I loved that picture of Drew... it's my favorite too! You should take a picture of him now with Connor on your bed and do a caomparison! LOL!! Great memories!

Kelly said...

LOL! Yeah, I would do that if my comforter wasn't blue and red and the wall in my bedroom purple. The whole scene may break my camera. But, the kids would be cute. ;)

Laura said...

I remember the first night the girls slept through the night. I woke up, woke Stan up and asked if he had fed the girls. He said no, and asked me if I had, I said no. I said, "Hope they're not dead" and went back to sleep. It wasn't that funny the next morning (I felt horrible for saying that) but almost 8 years later, it is :-D

Anonymous said...

Kelly give me a call , I'll take you comforter shopping - that is my cup of tea for sure! But guess what nobody would see that in the picture because they would be looking at the adorable boys!