Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Clean kids

It is becoming a family tradition (this year and last year) for us to spend New Year's Day in our pajamas. The boys think it is the coolest thing ever. It always seems like a good idea to me when I'm feeling too tired to jump into the shower, but as the day progresses, it just feels more and more gross.

Call me wierd, but I started giving the boys baths every morning when they were about a year old. Charlie has been getting a daily bath pretty much since he was born. Since then, I can probably count the number of days that they did not get a bath (not counting when they swim) on my hands. There were a lot of reasons that I started giving them a bath every day. Without even really considering the food, snot, dirt, sand, poop and miscellaneous other things that they mush into their bodies on a daily basis, the main reason that I started daily baths was that they really liked it and it was something to occupy part of our morning. It was 1/2 hour or 45 minutes of them enjoying themselves without whining and I ended up with clean and dressed kids!! Another reason was that I never wanted to miss the opportunity for an outing. If someone called me up and wanted to have a playdate or meet us someplace, I wanted to be ready to go! It didn't happen too often when they were babies, but we were ready if anything came up.


One more reason that I discovered is that if my kids (and me) were clean and looking half-way descent, our day seemed to go better. One day, when the boys were babies, we took a fieldtrip to the mall with a friend. I remember commenting that her kids looked cute that day. She laughed and told me that it had been a rough morning and she decided that if she dressed them up cute, she would be less likely to kill them. Although I am not going to kill my kids, and neither is she, there is definitely some truth to that.


So, for the record, the boy did stay in their pjs, all day today. I'm still in my pjs now at 9:10pm, but I fully intend to go up and take a shower when I am finished with this. Spencer went out in public today, so he didn't count. We almost made it with Charlie, but he had a leaky diaper earlier today and then was practicing showing us his hair at dinner. Great except that he had Macaroni and Cheese for dinner and still doesn't use a spoon. YUCK! He got a bath and is sleeping peacefully, and cleanly upstairs.




This kid needs a bath!!!
Macaroni & Cheese in his hair
and red marker on his forehead.
YUCK! Cute, but still YUCK!

1 comment:

SVdP & me said...

It's always a fun day when you can let it all "hang out" I was recently telling the story of making "fruit-cake". I would get all the ingredients ready, sit the boys on the floor ,give them bowls of the fruit and let them mix the fruit cake for me; by hand of course. What a messy lovely day. And the bonus was delicious fruitcake"! Aunt Elaine