Thursday, January 10, 2008

Parental Controls!!!

I really have got to sit down and figure out how to set up parental controls on the computer. The boys absolutely love being on the computer. I have no idea where they got that from!!! :)


They are regulars on their favorite sites. PBSkids, nickjr, and a couple of other cute kid sites are their favorites. They do bop around the internet pretty well. Recently, they got very interested and involved with Webkinz. Jack actually got one for his birthday back in May and we really did not know anything about them. We did register it on the computer, but he rarely went back to that site to play with "Jack5" (Jack5 is the name that he chose for his Webkinz(?)). Well, apparently in kindergarten, Webkinz are all the rage. The boys wanted nothing else but Webkins for Christmas. Lucky for them, Santa came through. Now they each have 3 Webkinz.

Our "family" of Webkinz
(l-r) Jack5, Ben5, Mr. Big, Snow, Blackie,
Sophie (don't ask!!), Mr. Snow, Allie and Cokker

They webkinz site is pretty cool. They register their Webkinz and then play with them on the computer. The Webkinz can play games, earn Webkinz$, go shopping, eat, go to the Dr., play with their other Webkinz friends and lots of other cool things. The boys really enjoy the site and are constantly finding new things to do there.

Well, the other day, I heard a lot of commotion in the computer room. The boys were all yelling and sorta laughing. Jack came out of the computer room as I was coming down the hallway. I asked him what was going on. He said that "he was blowing up Webkinz". I know that I have not thoroughly investigated the Webkinz site, but I thought that would be a strange thing to have on there. I asked him who was blowing up Webkinz and he said the "guy on the computer". I asked him why and he said "he doesn't like Webkinz, I guess". Well, I went in the computer room to see what was going on and they had typed Webkinz in the search box instead of doing the www thing and they ended up on a Youtube video of some crazy guy literally blowing up Webkinz. OOPS! Well, that could have turned out much worse and the boys don't seem traumatized so, I guess it was a good lesson for me to get the computer 'kid proofed'. There will definitely be no blowing up Webkinz in this house, at least not any time soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is too funny!!! I'm glad your boys are not scarred for life. -Jen