Saturday, January 26, 2008

March! March! Clap!

Here is an oldie, but goodie.

I remember being so excited when the boys were old enough to walk with me, rather than me carrying them or using the stroller. That skill gave us so much more freedom. To just be able to get everyone upstairs at naptime in one trip was wonderful, not to mention being able to run into Osco for milk.

I believe that this skill emerged right around the time they turned two. The problem turned out to be that even when we reached the point that they could do it, their attention span of was pretty non-existent. In order to get them to follow me consistently, I discovered that if I gave them something to do as they were following me, I would be less likely to lose them (lose their attention, not physically lose the boys). So, we started marching and clapping all together. It worked beautifully, except for the fact that the "L" sound was not a sound that they could make yet and they would substitute it with a "W" sound. Well, since I was with them every day and was used to the way they talked, I didn't really notice what they were saying. One day, we were at Jen & Craig's house for a family birthday party. At one point, I was trying to get the boys to come with me so, I started with the march, march,clap. My family thought it was just about the funniest thing that they had ever seen. The boys were yelling "March! March! Crap!!" as loud as they could as they followed me. My dad took a video and I re-discovered it a few weeks ago. It is pretty funny and the boys are so cute and little!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

You'll be glad to know I've updated my blog :-D
The boys are soooo cute!